Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:23:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        mike.jeays@statcan.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: good text based word processor, database question, and fr eebsd-uk

mike.jeays@statcan.ca types:
> I downloaded AbiWord (from www.abisource.com) two nights ago, and
> it installed on a FreebSD 4.1 system with absolutely no problems.
>
> It is licensed under the GPL.
>
> It looks like a stripped-down version of Microsoft Word, with the
> added benefit that its files are in XML.  It can produce RTF output,
> and sends PostScript either directly to the printer, or to a file.  I
> was able to produce good-quality personal and business letters with
> no need to look at a manual, and this would be true for anyone who
> had used Word.

I took the "text based word processor" to mean they wanted something
that edited text, but with WP features (ala the early DOS based WP
programs), so didn't respond.

I wrote a brief review of all the FreeBSD WPs I could find last
year. You can read the current version at <URL:
http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/reviews/FreeBSD-WP.html >. AbiWord is
included. Lyx, SIAG and koffice aren't.

	<mike