Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:55:10 -0800
From:      stokan@stinkbug.csd.sgi.com (Mark Stokan)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd 2.2.5 installation

I posted the following to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, but did not
get any responses.  Phil Jenvey at Walnut Creek CDROM suggested
forwarding it to you.

I've appended some additional information Phil asked me for at the end.

-----------------------
I'm experiencing problems installing FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE
on a Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 laptop (CPU Pentium 133MHz,
HDD 2.0GB, RAM 32MB) from it's internal Toshiba XM-1502B
cdrom (IDE ATAPI).

With the DEBUG option turned on during installation, the
last lines I see in /dev/ttyv1 are:

        DEBUG: Mounted FreeBSD CDROM from device /dev/wcd0c
        DEBUG: mkdir (/tmp)
        DEBUG: mkdir (/tmp..)
        DEBUG: Executing command 'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz
        > /tmp/doc.tmp'
        DEBUG: command 'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz >
        /tmp/doc.tmp' returned status of 0

At this point I'm kicked out of the installation to the

        "Installation completed with some errors"

screen.  Poking around the the shell on /dev/ttyv3, it looks the
everything worked until this point.  I've been able to go back
and manually execute the commands logged in /dev/ttyv1 so I don't
think any of these commands are causing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Does anyone know what the next
commands executed during installation are?  Anyone have a complete
log of a successful installation I might be able to sift through?

thanks for any help.
-----------------------

On Mar 3,  4:32pm, Phil Jenvey wrote:
> Does this continually happen with the same file, everytime you install? Does
> this problem occur when you turn the DEBUG messages off?

I've tried this probably about eight times now with the same results.
I turned DEBUG on to get additional information regarding the problem.
Without DEBUG on, the same problem exists, there's just less information
logged on the pseudo terminals.

On Mar 3,  4:55pm, Phil Jenvey wrote:
> Try remaking the boot disk. The floppy may be corrupt. If that doesn't work,
> at what point of the installation process does this occur?

I'm booting directly off the freebsd CDROM, so there's no floppy
involved.

This occurs during the installation of the software.  So I've chosen
the installation profile (developer, minimal, I've tried a few), told
the script I was sure I wanted to proceed,  the installation script
creates a filesystem on my freebsd partition and then I briefly see

        "copying the boot floppy to /stand on root filesystem"

before I'm dumped to the

        "installation completed with some errors"

screen that tells me to go back and check for error messages on ttyv3.

> On Mar 3,  5:15pm, Phil Jenvey wrote:
> Do you have Win95 or DOS on your machine? Use Winview to try to
> open that file /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz
>
> Winview will try to extract it if you double click on it.
> The file may be corrupted. If it is, we can replace the CD.

The above confuses me.  I'm running Windows NT on this machine.
Since /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz is on the freebsd partition,
I don't know how to access it from within Windows NT.  Is that
what you're asking me to do?

After the installation quits, I can go into vt4 and
manually execute the command,

 	'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz'

and view a text file documenting the legal ramifications of
various encryption key sizes.  So, I'm assuming that the file
isn't corrupted.  Like I said in my email, I was able to manually
execute the three commands which I found in the DEBUG logs.

 	'find -x /stand | cpio -v -pdum /mnt'
 	'cd /mnt/stand; find etc |cpio -v -pdum /mnt'
 	'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz > /tmp/doc.tmp'