Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:29:06 -0000
From:      "Chris Roos" <chris@seagul.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Syslog remote logging problems

Hi,

I have spent quite some time today trying to get my Netgear DG834 ADSL
Router to log it's syslog messages to syslogd running on FreeBSD 5.3R.

The first step was to check that the syslog messages were arriving at the
FreeBSD box by using tcpdump with a filter for udp packets.  This confirmed
that the packets were being 'seen' by the FreeBSD box.

The next step was to set-up a rule in syslog.conf to log all data from the
router to /var/log/router.log.  This is where the first problems appeared.
Initially, I added the following to the end of syslog.conf

+router
*.*		/var/log/router.log

As this entry was below the program entries for ppp and startslip, and
having read the man pages, I gather that syslog was now set-up to log from
router only entries matching the above programs (due to the cascading nature
of the syslog.conf rules).  I moved the router definition to above the
program entries and verified that the log file was being populated.  I read
in the man pages that to cancel a program or hostname rule within the
syslog.conf file use '*', however I have not been able to get this to work
correctly.  I have tried the following at the end of the file (before moving
the router definition to above the ppp and startslip program entries to
enable it to work correctly) with no success.

*
+router
*.*		/var/log/router.log

and

*+router
*.*		/var/log/router.log

I would like to know the correct format of this so that I can be sure that I
am logging everything I should be.

In addition to the above, I am having problems starting the syslogd daemon
using the -a flag.  If I try to start syslogd with any of the following
options, I do not get the remote logs from router (IP address 192.168.3.20)

-a 192.168.3.20
-a 192.168.3.20/16
-a 192.168.3.20/255.255.255.0
-a 192.168.3.20:'*'
-a 192.168.3.20/16:'*'
-a 192.168.3.20/255.255.255.0:'*'

I am currently running syslogd with no parameters which allows me to log
from the remote host correctly but I would much prefer if I could allow only
the remote host that I want to log from.

Any help on either of these points would be greatly appreaciated.

Chris
---