Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 02:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 10:41 AM 8/14/98 +0000, Mike Smith wrote:
> >C is not "unsafe", it is "not-safe", meaning that you're responsible for
> >your own security. In this it is no less "safe" than any other
> >language as you are a fool if you take the "safety" of any other
> >language on trust.
>
> Gee, by this reasoning a car without seat belts, a horn, or bumpers is
> is really no less "safe" than any other car. After all, you're a fool if
> you trust your car to be safe.

You seem to be arguing for cars that are fixed to their lanes by iron
rails down the center of the lane.  (Probably one of the most annoying
rides at DisneyLand)

> I guess I'll remove that pesky blade guard from my circular saw, too.
> After all, doing that doesn't make the saw any less safe.

You're not adding anything to your arguement.

The summary of this entire thread (and the previous ones you've been on in
-security) is:  Poor programmers write poor code, which may contain bugs
that expose the system to security risks.

If you choose to write or use poor code you have read the disclaimer and
are agreeing to use 'unsafe' tools.

If you are going to contribute to a meaningful discussion, don't resort to
'C sucks, its not safe' every other sentence.

(I should probably just procmail Brett so he doesn't acidently annoy me at
3 am and incur the list a flame from me.)

Brett, if you want to rewrite FreeBSD in Modula-3, Jave, Smalltalk,
Intercal or whatever 'safe' language gives you the most wood, go for it.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  |This space | '78 Datsun 280Z | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |is for rent| '84 Volvo 245DL | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |