Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:46:45 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Threads question

I need a threads package which supports the following operations:

create thread
exit thread
kill thread
suspend/resume thread
semaphore operations
get/set thread priority

I'll probably discover some other features which would be nice (for example
message ports), but I think everything I need can be implemented on top of
the basic functions and either semaphores or mutexes.  Anyway, on Solaris I
have a choice between POSIX and Solaris threads.  The man page for libthread
gives a nice summary and comparison between the two.

Although I'd like to use POSIX threads for the greater portability,
apparently POSIX doesn't offer the option to suspend and resume threads, so
I've decided to use Solaris threads.

Anyway, just wanted to solicit any advice on the best thread library to use
for a FreeBSD (or Linux) port of my toolkit, when it is finished.  I've
decided to start with a Solaris version, simply because I have access to it
(on SPARC and x86), and it has VERY good documentation on the thread
functions supported, the differences between Solaris and POSIX threads, and
the thread-safeness of each library function.  IMHO, this is one area where
FreeBSD is very weak.  Comments?

-- Jake