Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:29:56 +0100
From:      Rink Springer <rink@il.fontys.nl>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Matt Staroscik <matt@wrongcrowd.com>
Subject:   Re: Good gigabit NIC for 4.11?

> backplane bus to handle that kinda bandwidth, whereas a consumer
> grade motherboard where the GB NIC is hanging off the PCI bus rather
> than being integrated into the northbridge is not going to do nearly
> so well.

Indeed, this is why I specifically said: desktop NIC's... my onboard
bge(4)'s on a Tyan K8SE and onboard em(4)'s on an ASUS PCH-DR all get
much higher performance than the so-called GB NICs on desktop boards.

Gotta love marketing :) But I guess this is getting offtopic ...

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
  "Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!