Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:25:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Walton <walton@onlinemusic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suiddir and samba

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Dave Walton wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2001, at 23:10, Doug White wrote:
>
> > No, turn off suiddir and turn on inherit perms.  They are mutually
> > exclusive.
>
> They are?  By my reading of the docs, inherit perms deals with the
> permission bits, and suiddir deals with ownership.  What am I
> missing?

Hm .. suiddir makes files inherits the perms AND owner/group from the
parent dir.  This is kinda evil as it essentially is a hardwired file
giveaway, which is a BSD no-no.  You should just set the dir
group-writable and add all the user's to the parent dir's group.

I suppose if you *really*really* want the owner to propagate, then use
suiddir. Of course, unless you hack Samba the suid bit won't get set on
subdirectories.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org