Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:38:54 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Slave server not answering queries.

This error comes from nslookup, not from named.  The problem is that
nslookup wants to be able to do a reverse lookup on the IP address of
the nameserver it's using.  If it can't, it gives up and refuses to work
at all, and gives this error message.  In order to make nslookup happy
you need an in-addr.arpa entry for the 192.168.1.11 address.  I really
don't understand why nslookup is like this, but that's life.  See p. 67
of the cricket book (3rd ed.) for details.

-Mitch

> Hi there, Ill try not to confuse myself to much on the following
>question. I have set up a slave dns server using bind 8. The machine the
>slave is on consists of one ethernet card residing on two class c
>networks via ifconfig alias.
>host.fict.dom (198.201.102.11) Public net
>tsoh.fict.dom (192.168.1.11)
>Both networks are reachable, in and outbound. Zone transfers go smoothly
>except when I HUP the named proccess bind complains about not being able
>to delete interface 192.168.1.11.53 ( running named as non root ) i dont
>see this as a problem since my primary masters are using the same configs
>and they all work. NSLINT doesnt so much as blink at my configs.
> Firing up nslookup I get:
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.11: No responce from
>server
>Default Server:  localhost.fict.dom
>Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> All queries return good using 127.0.0.1.
> server 198.201.102.11 : all queries good.
>
>I double checked the db files on my master, tsoh.fict.dom exists as NS PTR
>& A records, as well, host.fict.dom exists as NS PTR & A throughout all
>configs. named.conf configs read like...
>
>options {
>	directory "/etc/namedb";
>	//forwarders { 208.216.228.253; 208.216.229.253; };
>	multiple-cnames yes;
>	pid-file "/etc/namedb/named.pid";
>};
>zone "fict.dom" {