Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:57:11 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@dojo.tao.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot, no panic. Recovering from a crash.

How big is your power supply, and is it working up to snuff?
The new 40-50x cd drives draw quite a lot of power when they
get spinning fast.  I had an old Gateway case/ps that would not
handle a K6-3/400 with 40x cd-rom copying to an ide hard drive.
I replaced the cd-rom with an older 8x and have had no trouble
How big is your power supply, and is it working up to snuff?
The new 40-50x cd drives draw quite a lot of power when they
get spinning fast.  I had an old Gateway case/ps that would not
handle a K6-3/400 with 40x cd-rom copying to an ide hard drive.
I replaced the cd-rom with an older 8x and have had no trouble
since.  In my case, the system would freeze in the middle of the
fbsd (4.0-rel) install with the fast cd-rom drive.

Barney Wolff