Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:10:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

>From: "Tim Parkinson" <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>
>Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:11:04 +0100

>I'm curious as to what people are using their FreeBSD machines for.  I know
>some people who are complete UN*X nutcases, yet when asked, why they use it
>they can't answer.
>I was just thinking about specific applications that people had.

Well, here at Whistle, we have a couple of boxes running Solaris 2.x for
specific applications (that are either "not" or "poorly" supported for
FreeBSD), but all our other UNIX machines are FreeBSD.

So we do the usual:  a variety of internal & external Web servers; mail
servers; NIS; nameservice....  We also have a lot of desktop FreeBSD
boxen, such as the one I'm using to read & write email now.

There are some folks here who (for whatever reasons) run Microsoft
environments, and to accomodate them, we're also running a SAMBA server.

And we make a rather neat little box that runs FreeBSD on the
insides....  :-)

At home, I run Suns....  :-}  (No PC hardware there -- oh, except for
one piece of an embedded system that I haven't powered up yet... and
when I do, it will be so I can figure out what it's doing & replicate
the work on a better platform... probably with Perl scripts.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621