Date:      Thu, 1 May 2014 19:55:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   enough already ..

Well, thread/s about off-list dating spam attracted nearly 40 responses
later last month, and in the first 9 hours! of May (zulu time) we have:

Starting: Thu May 1 00:27:01 UTC 2014
Ending: Thu May 1 09:33:40 UTC 2014
Messages: 19

    * Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   illoai at gmail.com
          o Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Antoine Kallab
                + Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   illoai at gmail.com
                + Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Erich Dollansky
          o Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Antoine Kallab
                + Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Olivier Nicole
                + Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Olivier Nicole
          o Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Steve O'Hara-Smith
          o Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Polytropon
                + Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   Ralf Mardorf
          o Spam to list participants (from openhosting.com & softcom.com)   illoai at gmail.com
    * best configuration management tool for FreeBSD?   Joseph Mingrone
          o best configuration management tool for FreeBSD?   Matthew Pherigo
    * Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Matthew Pherigo
          o Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Olivier Nicole
                + Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Polytropon
          o Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Bernt Hansson
          o Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Stephen Cook
          o Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam   Mike Sanders

In other words, two out of nineteen messages are relevant to FreeBSD!

This is FAR, FAR worse misuse of this list than any instances of
spamming I've seen on it at any time in the last fifteen years.

And sure, I know I'll get some more pictures of cute twenty-somethings
offering casual sex offlist.  And then I may again be directed to (for
example) http://verificationsecure.com/alyssacas where I'll be asked to
enter credit card details for the payment of $1 to verify I'm not a sex
offender.  Yeah right .. this is the real sting, and if I were so stupid
I'd expect to be saying bye-bye to a lot more than $1.

Yes, I know this message can only make things one worse, but .. enough,
please!  Please, let's not destroy this list trying to 'save' it.

The current, long-term policies for this list work well if people will
be disciplined enough to a) just ignore/delete spam on the list or b) if
you can't ignore it, send offending messages - including ALL Received:
headers - to postmaster@freebsd.org (and NOT to the list).

thanks, Ian