Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:27:02 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tap device at boot time

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Willy Offermans wrote:
>> Thank you for your response, but unfortunately adding
>> cloned_interfaces="tap0" to my rc.conf did not solve the issue. The
>> tap0 device only appeared after I started the openvpn daemon. Is there
>> a way to determine the order to start the daemons. Maybe I can solve
>> the problem in that way.
>>
> cloned_interfaces="tap0" will only work with a version of FreeBSD
> which has clonable tap support (FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT or 6.2-STABLE, not
> 6.2-RELEASE).
>
> Regards,
> BMS

Hello,
maybe this is slightly OT, but I tried using /dev/tap0 by QEMU on FBSD 7.0-CURRENT and 6.2-STABLE at boottime. Using cloned_interfaces="tap0" gives a tap0 device at boot time, but I need to assign a fixed MAC address and tried doing this via

ifconfig_tap0="inet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask 0xfffffe00 link MAX_ADDRESS"

(MAC_ADDRESS replaced by a valid MAC address). Reason ist I try to get an IP via DHCP - this is restricted by our computer center and their DHCP maintenance so I do not have influence on that. I need to provide them a fix MAC address.

I think using ifconfig_tap0="..." in /etc/rc.conf seems to be too early., the /dev/tap0 device has always another MAC address after booting.

Is their a 'definded' way to assign a MAC address within rc.conf?

Regards,
Oliver