Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:25:34 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Matt Dillon wrote:
> :If you want freebsd to remain a cult OS for hackers you are correct.
>     FreeBSD hasn't been a cult OS in a very long time, Dennis.  You need to
>     open your eyes a little more.  The OSS world has changed in the last
>     few years.
> :Reverse engineering is a myth. The result is so inferior to high-level
> :language source code as to not be a concern, plus its illegal so it cant be
> :marketed.
>     Reverse engineering is very legal, and it is hardly a myth, nor
> 						-Matt

Examiners at the European Patent Office http://www.epo.org tell me:
	Reverse engineering is legal in Europe, Illegal in USA.
I never asked about Canada, Japan, Oz, Russia etc :-)  ie laws vary,
you may actually both be right, it's legal & illegal, depending where.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with its 4200 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !