Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:42:35 +0300 (IDT)
From:      ezislis <kesor@mail.ru>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        George <jirka@5z.com>, <gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GDM 2.4.0.x & FreeBSD

> On my machine, gdm behaves the same whether in graphical mode or not.
> I.e., if I set it up to do graphical, the greeter with the flower
> appears and accepts username and hange.  If I set it up for
> non-graphical, the greeter with the face browser appears, accepts the
> username and hangs.

I hope that by saying graphical you mean the one with the circles theme
(or any other theme), and not just the one showing faces above the
username prompt.

I guess that I do have some other problems with my machine, gnome-session
also doesnt work, with a similar backtrace to the one of graphical gdm.

> BTW, you explanation of how you restart gdm is wrong.  Gdm will not
> restart correctly if you just kill -1 1 because init will not correctly
> kill gdm.  You have to force it off with 'killall gdm' to make sure that
> you kill the original gdm process, otherwise you are probably still
> running the originally spawned gdm from your startup.  Whenever you kill
> gdm, check with ps before and after to make sure you really killed it.
> I bet the results will surprise you, and I think the method you are
> using is causing some of the odd things you are seeing, especially with
> the graphical browser issue.

Offcourse, it was so trivial that I forgot to mention it, before running
any tests I check with ps axl to see if there is anytihng X related
running, and even kill -9 if there is need.

-- Kesor