Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:49:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>, terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pageable kernel?  [was: PnP Proposal]

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> As far as kernel bloat goes:  we need pageable code for parts of the
> kernel.  A lot of people hate this, arguing that kernel paging is
> bad... in which case, we should be keeping DOS loaded as part of our
> boot code instead of reclaiming the 640k.  8-).

You know, this would be a cool idea in any case.  I know that the
difficulty would be almost prohibitive at this point, and the end result
might bear little (if anything) to the basic 4.4BSD kernel we have now,
but I would LOVE to eventually see a fully pageable, modular
microkernel-type design (with dynamic memory management) a la Solaris,
where every filesystem, device driver, etc, is a separate file.  I know,
I'm dreaming, but it would still be nice...

Of course the Solaris "microkernel" is about 900k, so I'm not sure we'd
wind up ahead in the end..  :-)

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL