Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:14:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, robertini@sns.it
Subject:   New PCBRIDGE version

I believe this can be of interest to some of you, and I need some
help as well.

I have developed a ROMable bridge largely based on the FreeBSD's
"netboot" code. It compiles under FreeBSD (i use to have the sources in
/sys/i386/boot/bdg300) much like netboot, supports "ed"-type cards, and
can make a bridge with up to 5 ports on a single PC.

The code can be accessed from my home page,

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi

Take it as an alpha version, much like -current!  It works (I am
connected through it at the moment), although might not be the most
stable thing in the world (it has been running for a couple of
hours now...). I am still doing a lot of changes to it, mostly
adding features, remote control etc.

The reason I am posting is that it would be extremely interesting
if the bridge could support 100Mb boards. I believe it shouldn't
be hard to adapt some of the if_XXX drivers of FreeBSD, but I don't
have such boards available. Also, any adaptation could be used by
"netboot" as well.

So, is anyone interested in the project, and can help on it ?
And, in any case, I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions.

	Luigi

Some historical notes:

The program is called PCBRIDGE 3.XX because it is a followup of a
previous work that I did back in 1993, which was based on Vance
Morrison's PCBRIDGE. The previous code was working very well (I
have tens of bridges installed in my Faculty, running flawlessly
since 1993) but was totally unreadable and only compiled with
selected version of MASM an on selected configurations of MSDOS.
Also, it only supported the SMC-Elite boards, now discontinued, so
I have become unable to build new bridges and did not want to mess
up with MASM and my unreadable code again:) This motivated the complete
rewrite in C.

Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/