Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 15:12:56 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   X11 issues (XFree86-libs port uploaded)

Hello,

I have successfully created a XFree86-libs port which builds, installs, and
links correctly with various graphics libraries and one windowmanager
(window maker), as well as python and gd. I am posting the tarball for this
port at (and its tarball at ~will/distfiles/XFree86-libs-3.3.6.tar.gz):

        http://people.FreeBSD.org/~will/XFree86-libs.tar.gz

The port has me wondering about breaking up the X11 build into various
parts and using the current x11/XFree86 as a psuedo-port. For example, we
would have a XFree86-docs (which includes docs + manpages, etc.),
XFree86-server, XFree86-[<insert server here>], XFree86-libs,
XFree86-aoutlibs, and so forth.

If we were to setup this sort of system, it would allow us to eliminate the
current inane setup used on the CDs for setting up X11, which relies on the
X Consortium's method. It would allow users to delete X11 parts more
selectively and also actually have package files for X11.

(For some reason, why our XFree86 port needs a script to ask you the
various options is beyond me. Perhaps I should actually read the script a
little to figure it out, but I think it's a real pain in the ass to have
something like that. Could this possibly be replaced by the files/options
system that nbm and I have been discussing of late?)

Thoughts, comments, scornful remarks?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>