Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:32:36 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New to the list

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 03:03:51AM -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Hello everybody:
>
> I have had FreeBSD 2.2.2 installed for about six months now, but hadn't
> been using it much until I got a new modem. I only joined the questions
> mailing list last week.
>
> Thanks to Sue Blake, I heard about this list. I doubt I would have found
> it browsing the FreeBSD.org web site.

That'll change soon. The list has been going for a month. The only way
that anyone knew about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was a single
message sent to freebsd-announce when it started. I'm almost surprised
there's anyone here at all :-)  A few days ago I dropped a couple of
hints on the newsgroup and we'll be visible on the web site next week.

> I am overwhelmed by the volume of the mail I receive from the
> freebsd-questions list. I now have it filtered into its own mailbox, which
> I can empty from time to time. I barely have the time to read the titles
> of everything that comes in before deleting. I still feel that I might be
> missing something that I might be able to use later.
>
> I suppose I can always ask for help when I need it. I would welcome any
> advise or suggestions about managing the information overload.

I find the messages I save from freebsd-questions very useful, especially
if I save only a few and go through them every now and then and sort them
into topic areas. But no need to be too worried about missing something.
All of -questions is archived and you can search through it at
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html
If you feel like playing with software you could install mutt and check
out how it sorts mail into threads for delet^H^H^H^H^H reading.I couldn't
cope with freebsd-questions any other way now, I'm so hooked on mutt.

> Anyway, it's great to be a newbie.

Sometimes :-) It's also great to be not the only newbie.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-