Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:18:28 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boots up but no login (Tosh 4005cds 4.6-RELEASE)

I tried to upgrade my laptop from 4.3-snap to 4.6-RELEASE by
renaming /usr/src and changing the target in options/Release Name
to 4.6-RELEASE
I choose a non-X developer in bundle selection and chose ftp as media.

The upgrade completed and on reboot there is no file named /kernel.
Only /kernel.prev and /kernel.GENERIC so at the boot prompt I said:
boot /kernel.GENERIC.

It boots up but when I finally get to the login prompt there is no
response to anything I type.  No other virtual terminals are
available either.

The last few bootup messages I see say:

Jul  2 13:15:53 satfbsd: sm-msp-queue[96]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/mail/submit.cf: line 415: readfc: option RunAsUser: Unknown user
smmsp

Jul  2 13:15:53 satfbsd: sm-msp-queue[96]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/mail/submit.cf: line 415: readfc: option TrustedUser: unknown
user smmsp
Mail submission program must have RunAsUser set to non root user
.
Initial rc.i386 initialization: apm
Configuring syscons: blanktime screensaver moused.
Additional ABI support: linuxsio4 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 flags
0x40000 slot 0 on pccard0
sio4: type 15550A
sio4: unable to activate interrupt in fast mode - using normal mode
Jul  2 13:15:57 satfbsd pccardd[50]: sio4: Toshiba America
(3CXMO56-BNW) inserted.
Local package initialization: apagche (skipping qmial.sh, not
executable) rplayd.

Additional TCP options:.

Tue Jul  2 13:16:01 PDT 2002

FreeBSD/i386 (satfbsd.local.lan) (ttyv0)

Login: []

The cursor is not blinking and no typing is recognized.

What can I do here to get started and see what the trouble is?  I
don't recognize the messages, but the previous install (4.3 snap) had
sendmail installed.