Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:11:26 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/31581: editors/staroffice52 cannot be installed on 4.4-STABLE

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:56:08AM +0200, Nevermind wrote:
> Hello, Martin Blapp!
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 11:21:14PM +0100, you wrote:
>
> > > When I'm typing make install out of X11, it says 'cannot open display'.
> >
> > Aehm. That means you've never run  the installation program ! The
> > staroffice installation has a GUI.
> >
> > So allow with "xhost +localhost" that the display can open on your
> > user X-Desktop, and then set the DISPLAY Variable like
> > "export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0".
> >
> > The you will see the installation and a userinstallation will also
> > find the setup binary ...
> If I understood correct, I should do the following steps:
> cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52
> 1: make
> 2: make install
> 3: <out_of_X>
> 4: xhost +localhost
> 5: export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> 6: make install-user
> 7: </out_of_X>

Not really.  From a look at the staroffice52 port Makefile, it seems
that you need something more like:

Out of X:

1. make
2. xhost +localhost
3. export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
4. make install
5. make install-user

Or in X:

1. make
2. make install
3. make install-user

The installation procedure, the one invoked in the 'install' target,
attempts to execute a StarOffice installation binary, which wants
to run under X.  Thus, you either have to do all the making and installing
within X, or you have to set your DISPLAY and allow connections from
localhost before running 'make install'.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.