Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:34:46 +0530
From:      Varuna <varuna@eudaemonicsystems.net>
To:        bjk@freebsd.org, gjb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: man page for dhclient.conf(5) error in script location

Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> I do not believe this is an error.
> Per dhclient.conf.5, the script directive specifies a DHCP client
> configuration script, and in the example given in the EXAMPLES section,
> it is entirely reasonable to have a custom configuration script for that
> interface.  In that case, the default /sbin/dhclient-script would not be
> appropriate, and a custom version of it needed. Putting such a custom
> configuration script in /etc is in keeping with the traditional location
> for system configuration files.
>
> -Ben Kaduk

Correct me if I am wrong, I have been under the impression that the examples
indicated in the man pages will always be for default values.  The
/sbin/dhclient binary refers to /etc/dhclient.conf which in turn gives the
location of the script dhclient-script.  The location of the script
dhclient-script as seen in the source code tree has been
/usr/src/sbin/dhclient/dhclient-script.  The dhclient-script is not a
configuration file for /sbin/dhclient and is a system related script.

Indeed I do agree that nothing stops the user from placing the custom script
anywhere in the system with appropriate absolute path in the configuration file.
  At the same time, I do not see any reason as to why /sbin/dhclient-script
would necessitate a change by the user as there are no configuration setting in
/sbin/dhclient-script that can be made by the user.

Glen Barber wrote:

 > I personally feel it should be made more clear in the dhclient.conf(5)
 > manual, maybe by a comment in the sample configuration?

I definitely agree with this suggestion that the dhclient.conf(5) needs a
modification.

With regards,
Varuna
Eudaemonic Systems
Simple, Specific & Insightful

IT Consultants, Continued Education & Systems Distribution
+91-88-92-47-62-63
http://www.eudaemonicsystems.net
http://enquiry.eudaemonicsystems.net

This email is confidential, and may be legally privileged.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you must not use or disseminate
this information in any format.  If you have received this email in
error, please do delete it along with copies of it existing in any
other format, and notify the sender immediately.  The sender of this
email believes it is virus free, and does not accept any liability
for any errors or omissions arising thereof.