Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lynx

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 groggy@iname.com wrote:

> > > lynx 2.8 differs from 2.7 in some disappointing ways,
> > > mainly regarding text handling in <PRE> blocks.
> > >
> > > 1. <CENTER> no longer works inside or outside of <PRE> blocks.
> >
> > The ideas are mutually exclusive.  I'll bet you that HTML spec says that
> > PRE isn't allowed within CENTER.
>
> which spec?  there's about 5!  it used to be OK with lynx 2.7,
> and is just fine and dandy with Netscape and IE.  i don't know
> that CENTER and PRE are mutually exclusive.  you may be right
> about some spec, but convention and practicality are good
> specs too ;)  every text based word processor since 1980
> can do it.  btw, i did run my CENTER/PRE stuff thru
> several HTML spec verifiers, and they came out A.OK ...

HTML != MS Word, and PRE != Courier font.  HTML is a content-based markup,
not physical markup!!  Very, very important!!

PRE is the Preformatted tag.  Usually it's used when you have text in
which spacing is important, like program code.  most browsers render it
with a fixed-width font.  Centering a space-important line defeats the
purpose of the PRE.  If you just want Courier then use TT (Typewriter
Typestyle).

> > > 2. spaces are no[w] condensed into a single space, killing all
> > >    formatting of text.
> >
> > I'll have to check the spec on that, but that sounds like a bug.
>
> typo fixed ...
>
> 3. <A HREF></A>
>    <A HREF></A>
>    <A HREF></A>
>
>    links inside PRE blocks now become:
>
>    <A HREF></A><A HREF></A><A HREF></A>
>
> bleh.
> this prevented me from using lynx a year ago.
> i was surprised to still see it that way.

I'd pester Lynx about that, to me it's a bug.

Doug White