Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:39:29 -0400
From:      "Michael D. Harlan" <r3mdh@rworld.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pipsecd question

Hi, I've been having problems getting pipsecd to work.  Troubleshooting
documentation for this port has been nonexistant, so I write to you today
as a last resort only.

I have recently cvsup'd down the RELENG_4 trees and did a 'make world' and
compiled a 4.1-RC3 kernel.  In the kernel config file, I specified the
following options, specific to IPSEC:

. . .

options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols

options         IPSEC                   # IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               # IP security (crypto; define w/IPSEC)
options         IPSEC_IPV6FWD           # IP security tunnel for IPv6

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
device		ed0	at isa? port 0x240 irq 5 iomem 0xd8000
device		ep0	at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device	loop		# Network loopback
pseudo-device	ether		# Ethernet support
#pseudo-device	sl	1	# Kernel SLIP
#pseudo-device	ppp	1	# Kernel PPP
pseudo-device	tun	1	# Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device	pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device	md		# Memory "disks"
pseudo-device	gif	4	# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device	faith	1	# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device	bpf		#Berkeley packet filter

. . .

After the kernel was installed, I rebooted to a clean system.  Then I
successfully installed the pipsecd port.  When I execute pipsecd as root,
I get the following error:

challenger# /usr/local/sbin/pipsecd
socket(SOCK_RAW): Protocol not supported

I have no idea how to fix this.  I've searched the archives for the error,
but found nothing specific to pipsecd (lots of Perl problems were found,
however :) ).  Any help in alleviating this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

I thank you for your time,
Mike

--