Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 20:56:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Rose <rose@dml.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1 Release seems to corrupt my root partition

It looks like I'll have to install 2.1 for a third time.  The first time,
I picked up the kit from the net, did an ftp install from my server
(1.1.5.1) and everything seemed to go quite well.  I've had quite a bit of
settling to do on this hardware so I didn't exercise 2.1 very much.
However, when I rebooted at one point, there was a fleeting message about
not being able to get the sync accomplished during the reboot.  I think
that I saw 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 giving up?  I wasn't expecting it so
I can't say for sure.  After that, fsck needed to go to extremes to
recover.  This took quite a while and lost some files and directories in
the root partition.  By this time I had my 2.1 cds so thought I would
just reinstall.  I wasn't particularly committed to the bits on disk.
Everything went well.  I was even able to get my Nakamichi cdrom changer
to work thanks to a previous message.  (Yes, the one that referred to a
mysterious crash possibly associated with it.)  I left 2.1 up and went to
bed.  This morning it had rebooted.  Now it goes into the system install
menu during boot and won't do anything else.  Just before doing this,
there are some quick messages about not being able to access some files
in /sbin.  Both of the kernels that I had in root do the same thing, one
of them generic.  I'm not worried about the reboot.  Using the Nakamichi
changer seems to be experimental, but I am concerned that I can't seem to
keep my disk from being corrupted.  Most reboots seem to be able to sync
correctly.  Now for specifics.

Pentium 133
Asus P55TP4XE
512 Pipeline burst cache
32 MB memory
Asus SC200 disk controller (NCR 53C810)
Conner 4.2 MB scsi disk drive
SMC 9332 pci ethernet card (DEC 21140)
Teac cdrom
Nakamichi cdrom changer

This hardware runs Windows 95, NT, and Linux without a problem.  The
changer works too, BTW.  ;-)

Early in the life of the NCR driver, there was a problem with interupts
being delivered to the driver during shutdown.  Is there any chance this
could be similar?  Just pure speculation.  Any ideas?

Steve Rose