Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 16:21:56 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> Don't feel too bad about the update thing... OSF/1 still doesn't have
> update installs working right...

Yeah, but it's a festering sore and I'm really at the stage where it's
going to move to #1 on my list, right up there with the release of 2.1
itself.

A lot of people out there don't have the time or the inclination to
reinstall their entire system from scratch every time, yet they want
to have the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing that they're working with
the latest bits.  They may also not have the disk space to "go
current" and simply make the world themselves, plus a make world in
/usr/src also isn't something that necessarily equivalent to the
latest release anyway.  It doesn't update _everything_ that may be
required (like the appropriate /etc files).

Finally, the CD customers who are already running happily with the
last CD really don't want to blast everything to smithereens again if
they can just stick the CD in the drive, type "update" and have the
whole system update itself happily from CDROM, ask to reboot and then
come up with flying colors.  THAT is the way it should be done! :)

					Jordan