Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:14:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Aditya <aditya@grot.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console vs. serial terminal

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Aditya wrote:

> I have 3 different types of motherboards running FreeBSD 4-STABLE all in
> various states of cvsup but none older than 2 weeks ago. Using a null modem
> cable from one of them I can connect to each of the serial ports and get a
> login prompt as per what I have for ttyd0 in /etc/ttys:
>
>   ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
>
> however, if I connect to them from a Cyclades T2000 terminal server using a
> cat5 patch cable and a RJ45-DB9F modular adapter I can't type anything in but
> I do see output (ie. from syslog). The most bizzare thing is if I reboot with:

That sounds like the getty isn't coming up. It isn't complaining about
cycling endlessly, is it?

Also make sure you're using the right pinout on your cable; the Cyclades
pins aren't the same as Cisco's.  We usually custom-build them.

> in /boot/loader.rc it works fine with the Cyclades...that is, booting up, I
> see:
>
>   sio0: type 16550A, console
>
> rather than:
>
>   sio0: type 16550A
>
> So what is it about explictly setting sio0 to be the console that
> changes the serial line discipline? Connecting with a regular null modem
> cable seems to be unaffected in either case.

It seems that your serial port(s) are locking up; the console output
"wakes them up."  Can you try connecting to the port with cu (in internal
console, not serial) on the FreeBSD machine, ssh in to the TS2000 on the
other, and talk between yourselves?

AFAIK FreeBSD doesn't require carrier to be asserted for getty to wake up.
If you hit <ENTER> a few times on the tty it should give you a login
prompt.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org