Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 15:44:01 -0300
From:      "Dana May" <danaelectric@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   EHCI Stall on boot, FreeBSD 6.1Release, Intel Chipset

Hello everyone,

I've just switched to FreeBSD from a dying windows box, and I'm seeing
some weird non-deterministic behavior with regards to the ehci driver.
Forgive my newbishness.

Roughly 50% of the time the bootup proceeds normally. The other half
of the time the boot screen stalls at:

ehci0: <Intel 82801EB/R (ICHS) USB 2.0 Controller> mem
0xfebffc00-0xfebfffff irq 23 at device 29.7 on pci0.

Oddly, the device loads successfully some of the time. I can't tell if
I'm doing anything differently. I usually need to reboot until luck
shines my way. This occurs on the LiveCD as well.

I've tried disabling the ehci device and recompiling the kernel, but
instead I was greeted with a whole bunch of link errors. I built from
kde under sudo, is that bad? I'm not even sure if I want to disable
it, because I'm pretty sure that my Dell 2405 FPW monitor is a USB 2.0
hub that I'm running my mouse and keyboard off of.

On that run I also disabled a lot of other stuff, so I tried to build
a test kernel off GENERIC. This crashed my system sometime during
compilation, triggering an auto-reboot!

I would love to know how to boot this machine without rolling ehci
dice every time I boot.

I could give more extensive boot logs if I knew how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dana