Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 22:04:55 GMT
From:      iain@nwpeople.demon.co.uk (Iain Baird)
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   950622-SNAP system lockup

Hi,

I have installed 2.0.5-950622-SNAP on the following hardware:

	Gateway 4DX66-P
	Adaptec AHA-2940
	Seagate Barracuda ST31250
	Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM PCI
	DTC PCI IDE Controller
	Western Digital Caviare 540MB (Not used for FreeBSD)
	SMC Elite Ultra
	SoundBlaster 16

The installation went fine.

I had logged in and was rebuilding the kernel.  I logged in on
another virtual console and started to un-tar data from a floppy.
At this point the system locked solid, with the hard drive activity
light on.  After a hard reset and reboot fsck reported all filesystem
errors fixed, but when I attempted to login I saw a message along the
lines of "login: exec format error", so it looks like something is
hosed.

This is similar to problems I experienced with late 2.0 snapshots,
I did not report them as decided to wait for 2.0.5.

The problem seems to be triggered by more than one process concurrently
performing intensive disk I/O.  In the past it has occurred when running
a tar pipeline, e.g.

	tar -cf - . | (cd elsewhere; tar -xf -)

With late 2.0 snapshots such a tar pipeline would *always* cause a lockup,
provided non-trivial amounts of data were involved.  I never saw intensive
disk I/O by a single process cause this problem -  kernel rebuilds completed
OK as long as little else was happening.  I have less of a sample size with
950622-SNAP as the lockup seems to have hosed my system, but I had one
kernel rebuild complete successfully while nothing else was happening.

I vaguely recall reading something about a bug which occurred with fast
disks.  The ST31250 is pretty fast, could this be a factor?

Please let me know if you require further information about my system,
or would like me to run any tests - I'm prepared so invest some effort
in helping to solve this.

Thank you all for your hard work.

iain

--
Iain Baird                                     Network People International
                                               Tel: +44 (0)1732 743591