Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:02:48 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 Swap partitions limit (was  Re: RE: Little question (offtopic))

Jeff Aitken scribbled this message on Aug 11:
> David Gilbert writes:
> > One curious aspect of FreeBSD that I havn't explained to my own
> > satisfaction is why it appears to consume more swap than linux.
>
> From: http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ235.html#238
>
> 12.1. FreeBSD uses far more swap space than Linux. Why?
>
> FreeBSD only appears to use more swap than Linux. In actual fact, it
> does not. The main difference between FreeBSD and Linux in this
> regard is that
> FreeBSD will proactively move entirely idle, unused pages of main
> memory into swap in order to make more main memory available for
> active use.
> Linux tends to only move pages to swap as a last resort. The
> perceived heavier use of swap is balanced by the more efficient use
> of main memory.
>
> Note that while FreeBSD is proactive in this regard, it does not
> arbitrarily decide to swap pages when the system is truely idle.
> Thus you will not find
> your system all paged out when you get up in the morning after
> leaving it idle overnight.

this should also be updated to say that it doesn't dump and zero the
pages... it just puts them on disk so if there is an immediate need
for a large chunk of memory that it can dump pages that have been swapped
out w/o having to wait for them to be swapped out..

so the more use of swap actually helps performance because you can get
large chunks of memory faster...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson