Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:13:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@mail.virtual-estates.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   bugs in 4.3-RC2

The first  screen the user  is presented with,  is where he/she  gets to
choose  between  configuring the  kernel  (in  visual  or CL  mode)  and
continuing to boot. Pressing Alt-F2 on that screen causes a panic...

Once you go  through the partition submenu of "Custom",  you can not get
the list  of available  drives again.  We had 4  drives in  this machine
and  marked  only one  of  them  initially.  Attempts  to get  the  list
again to  partition another  drive were just  bringing us  directly down
to  partitioning  the drive  we  already  partitioned (with  dangerously
allocated, BTW,  it sucks, that one  has to look around  the sources and
what not for this hidden option).

The machine had the Promise Raid  controler on board, which we chose not
to use, by configuring each disk to be in the SPAN of its own.

The install  was giving us a  choice of arX and  adX devices duplicating
the  number  of disks  we  had.  We installed  on  the  adX devices  and
everything seems fine,  but having to choose between ad  and ar would be
confusing... (BTW, why does the device name for ATA RAID devices reminds
one of the synchronous Digi/Arnet device driver so much? Do the ATA RAID
devices have a man page of their own?)

	-mi