Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 05:01:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > I justify it by the fact that light bulbs are *observed* to work.
>
> I thought "observation" was an inaccurate methodology in the Terry
> Lambert mindview?

This shows the inaccuracy of your model of me, doesn't it?  It's
you who is the phenomenologist.

> > By "extropy", we are talking about a local increase in order.
> > AKA "life".
>
> I bet you can't prove that life is an increase in order. Any
> poor urban area is disproof by observation. ;)

Life is a local increase in order, by definition.

> > I can change a rational person's views, as a rational person
> > can change mine.  All they need to do is argue from the basis
> > of logic.  I've had my opinions chnaged many, many times in
> > the past, by people arguing rationally.
>
> ...using your particular arbitrary set of presumptions as
> axioms. ;)

Don't worry; my presumtions are a subset of nearly everyone's.
It makes me incredibly tolerant, and much easier to convince
by way of logical argument.

If my axioms are a subset of yours, then there's nothing about
them that any person can successfully call arbitrary, without
calling their own arbitrary.

The good thing about the word "arbitrary" is that it has to be
defined in context.  Even if, like you, you pretend to
irrationality to try and expand the set of allowable behaviours
as a governance of our own internal rules.

-- Terry