Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:21:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Scott Leutenegger <leut@cs.du.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   raw disk question

Hi,

Want to help convert a solaris user to FreeBSD?

Question:  Does FreeBSD support raw disks access?

           i.e. a read/write to/from disk does NOT access
	   the file cache in memory, but rather 100% of the
	   accesses go-to/come-from disk.

           If so, how do I create the raw disk partition?

Note:      I am trying to decide whether to install solarix x86 or
	   FreeBSD on a cluster of PCs to build a parallel database
	   application (parallel multi-dimensional indexing)
	   I know solaris x86 supports this, but have been lead to believe
	   FreeBSD will be faster, easier to install/maintain, and
	   comes loaded with most of the software (gcc/g++/sockets/perl) I need.
	   (please correct me if I am wrong)

Further Explanation: (not really relevant, explains why raw disk access desired)

  Our project has been developed on Sun's running solaris,
  but due to the cost tradeoff we bought 10 PCs to build a cluster.

  We do our own buffer pool (memory) caching.
  When a read/write is exectued I want the data
  to come/go straight from/to disk, ignoring any file system caching.

  Bye the way, no, I do not think I can implement a better caching policy.
  Rather, I need this functionality to enable measurements
  for the number of disk I/O for various memory sizes. The applications
  do run faster using a file rather than raw I/O (since you get
  many buffer hits), but I need the flexibility and predictablility
  of a raw disk.

  If you are really curious, check out the methodology section of:

    "The Effect of Buffering on the Performance of R-Trees"  (postscript only)

  at www.cs.du.edu/users/leut/pubs.html

Thanks,

---Scott

Professor Scott T. Leutenegger             Phone:  303-871-2821
Math and CS Dept, Univ of Denver           FAX:    303-871-3010
2360 S. Gaylord Street                     email:  leut@cs.du.edu
Denver, CO 80208-0189                      http://www.cs.du.edu/users/leut