Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 21:17:07 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org (Gunther Schadow)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetWare / IPX routing facts and a question

> thank you so much for this patch to IPXrouted, I'm specifically
> interested in the filtering mechanism, because it's a lot
> of IPX junk on our network (basically an entire multi-site
> campus.)
>
> > Here is a patch that I'm running. The problem is that on a large network
> > the SAP table can grow very large and take a long time to be transmitted.
> > (Only 7 SAP entries fit into a packet and you need to space them 50ms
> > apart.) The current code will do it in one go, but during that time it
> > will not read any received packets so the input buffers can overflow. The
> > patch will check for received packets between each SAP broadcast and
> > process them.
>
> Hmm, how would this problem become manifest? It would seem that
> you would not see the servers at all on the nlist. But once
> you see them and you try connecting to them, they should be
> right there, or not? My problem is that I can see the server
> being listed but when I try to log in or do more with it, it
> says that the server isn't available; or if it is, other subsequent
> accesses may fail. Would be nice to know what kind of
> problem your patch has fixed for you.

It depends on which packets got lost in the receive buffer overrun. If
it was SAP packets, you wouldn't see the machine anymore, although you
would be able to get to it if you use the ipx address. If it was the
RIP packets that got lost, you would see the machine, but wouldn't be
able to connect to it.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za