Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 01:20:02 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new-bus

paul@originative.co.uk writes:
>fails to take into account
>the dynamic nature of new-bus and it's ability to support third-party
>supplied drivers. These drivers would need to be self-contained since they
>are not developed by the project but by some third party and would need to
>be able to install itself without changes to the installed system.

Unless new-bus implements a device-driver API used by operating systems
other than FreeBSD, I don't see the rationale, here.

Otherwise, any new-bus device driver will necessarily be written with
specific reference to the "developed by the project" part of the system.
Whether the programmer doing this is a volunteer or some unspecified "third
party", they should be able to employ as much of the existing code as
modularity and architectural hygiene will permit.

This will get more device drivers written faster for FreeBSD, and will
ensure fewer bugs in the shared code.

	-Michael Robinson