Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 23:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, tlambert@primenet.com, faber@ISI.EDU, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> > Well, it's not the compiler, it's the linker here that's important, and
> > don't hold your breath on that, GNU hasn't supported our a.out for a
> > _very_ long time ... I don't think, without FreeBSD modifications, that
> > they ever did.
>
> What are the current stumbling blocks?  I'm interested in resyncing
> the gcc's.  Somebody else recently expressed such an interest, but I
> haven't heard anything; is something being done?

It was done once, but the GNU people didn't apply the patches they were
sent.  If I remember correctly, some parts were applied, but not enough
to get it working.  Seeing as our move to ELF is really close, and that
will obsolete the a.out, it seems to me to be wasted time.

> Happy hacking,
> joelh
>
> --
> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
>    Fourth law of programming:
>    Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).