Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:05:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load average is 1 when no processes active; etc.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Valentin Nechayev wrote:

> `top -I' output:
>
> ==={
> last pid:   811;  load averages:  1.01,  0.97,  0.67    up 0+00:16:12  23:26:26

This is because the idle process is always running (see "ps lax" outout).
Perhaps the bug is that top doesn't show the idle process or other interesting
kernel processes like the new interrupt processes.

> The same system has another strangeness - `microuptime() went backwards':
>
> ==={ /var/run/dmesg.boot
> IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging limited to 100 packets/entry
> IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
> ncp_load: [210-213]
> IP Filter: v3.4.9 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
> microuptime() went backwards (1.3891137 -> 0.596214)
> microuptime() went backwards (1.3891137 -> 0.596655)

I get these at boot time on one machine but not on another very similar
machine, and often after messing around with ddb.  TSC timecounter in
all cases.  I think they are not a serious problem or related to old
timecounter bugs, but they may be related to old bugs setting `switchtime'.

Bruce