Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 23:01:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        alexis@dawn.ww.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

> In article <199610031005.OAA17905@dawn.ww.net> you wrote:
>
> > > Uhrm, it was nestled at the end of a paragraph, but I figured it would
> > > work like 95 where a simply hitting 'tab' or something similar would
> > > toggle the two windows.
>
> > 	Put the splash screen on ttyv1 for example and switch there.
> > If you want your console back switch to ttyv0?

NO!, syscons does this transparently on the console, no ttyv?

> Remember, sc0 is an ISA device, and PCI is probed before ISA (at least in
> current).  It was the syscons' job to put to logo on, right?

The LOGO appears right at the start, just as soon as the kernel
is loaded...

> Then, assuming abpout switching to ttyv1 for our graphics, how about
> /etc/rc messages?  They are also left on ttyv0, yes? Great.  Then,
> the getty starts and it would switch back to text mode?  Or do we
> have to run special utility just to ioctl() /dev/ttyv1?  Or maybe
> we'd just start xdm, having ttyv1 free.  This way, the system would come
> into graphics login screen.

All output to /dev/console are saved and can be viewed on ttyv0 as
usual... Depending on what is then run, you can customise what
to do...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..