Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 95 12:46:32 EDT
From:      evanc@synapse.net (Evan Champion)
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Caldera Network Desktop

On Sat, 24 Jun 1995 15:52:52 +0100 you wrote:
>I don't mean to rain on your parade, but from everything I've heard,
>the Caldera folks are Linux and GPL fanatics.  I doubt that sending
>them a CD would result in anything more significant happening than the
>generation of a few chuckles inside the Caldera project.

Maybe, maybe not.  One way to look at it is that they might actually
like the product enough to port their application.  Maybe soemone
could try contacting Caldera and "probe for interest".  We might get
lucky.

>> Or maybe the FreeBSD project members should look around and try to
>> come up with their own desktop for FreeBSD (maybe based on the COSE
>> desktop).  At any rate, I think that the interface is where the battle
>> lines will be drawn and I want to ensure that the package that I love
>> is able to fight back with a competitive if not superior product.
>
>This is a fight I could get behind.

I guess then we have to find some interested parties.  Since COSE
already has a relatively well defined interface, maybe that would be
the easiest way to go.

Probably the first problem, however, is that COSE requires Motif and
that is something that FreeBSD does not have (at least not out of the
box).  I thought I saw, once upon a time, that there was a group
working on a free Motif.  Perhaps we need to have a chat with the
XFree people; they would probably know about any movements in that
area.

Evan
--
Evan Champion evanc@synapse.net * Visit our World Wide Web Server