Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:52:47 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
Cc:        Bsdguru@aol.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel ISP1100 or similar 1U experience with 4.3 stable

>On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:24:11PM -0400, Bsdguru@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Its generally a bad idea to house a multi-processor system in a 1U enclosure,
>> as there isnt enough cooling space and 3/4" fans are simply not powerful
>> enough. Unless space is ridiculously scarce, you can get much better cooling
>> and reliability with a 2U unit.
>
>I have not had any problems (that were related to environment) with any of my
>multi-processor 1U machines. There are companies[1] who know how to build them.

   We've never had any cooling problems with our 1U servers either and we
provide fan and other enclosure monitoring under FreeBSD as well, so any
temperature issues would get attention before they become a real problem.
We have both center of the cabinet fans as well as multiple high output
exhaust fans and can sustain multiple fan failures before things start
to warm up inside.
   I'm not sure how this thread got moved to -hackers...it started out on
freebsd-isp and really does not belong on this list.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.