Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 06:54:23 PDT
From:      "muthiah anand" <smanand@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need about 5000 tcp connection....how to?

hi

1.my application should be able to accept about 5000-7000 tcp
connections
the connections stay for hours, but i/o on these sockets are less

what would be the ideal kernel configurations to achieve this?
like what are the param that i have to chg

i tried maxusers = 512 and 128 256.... doesnt solve my prob

i have to run a small process for each connection.

so i ran a loop with fork()
but after 1800 process the m/c freezes

what could be the problem?

2.does this has anything to do with hardware configuration?
i have 2 test pcs one high end pc, compaq proliant pentiumIII 500mhz,
1gb, scsi harddrive....

another one, anormal pentiumII 300mhz 128mb, ide drive

the second one can fork many process than the compaq pc for the same
kernel config

what could be the reason?

thanks in advance
-anand