Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 17:01:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: boot disk....

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:
> The DOS BPT seems to be named the BPB (B = block).  I often confuse this
> with the BPT.  Now I don't know what you mean by the BPT.  There is the
> BIOS disk parameters table pointed to by vector 0x1E, but that is only
> for floppies and changing it has little effect.

Booger; a thinko on my part.  Indeed, the equipment list doesn't have
anything to say about harddisks.

> I'm not sure about the BIOS, but for IDE drives the drive keeps a private
> copy and you can;t expect the BIOS to reprogram that for every i/o.  It
> might work to change the hard disk parameters pointed to by the int 0x41
> and/or int 0x46 vectors and then tell the BIOS to initialize the drive
> using int 0x13, ah = 9.

Indeed; I can imagine what something like DiskManager would think about
that 8(

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[