Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:03:14 +0100
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        Peter Lai <PeterL@resnet.uconn.edu>, "'Y u r i '" <ure@home.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org '" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tyr'd with all this pronunciation thread

	Sadly enough, however sound and clear and precise any
language's rules may be, it's the use many people make of it
what definitely ruines the language. I would not say Spanish
is corrupted per se, but it's true that most people abuse it
largely.

	As such, I don't see a problem in technical English
words, they are mostly confined to the realm they belong to.
"Hamburguesa" and "carro" are proper Spanish words also;  I'm
not quite sure where "hamburguesa" comes from exactly (though
we do use it to name hamburgers and hamburgers only), but the
traditional Spanish "carro" is something different than English
"car" and is probably much older (only in American Spanish it
has taken that other meaning). Again, things like "abend(-)ear"
or "bootear" are not Spanish and I'm not prone to think that
Spanish is rotting because some people use them; I rather
worry because of the lenguage the media display, and people
using it because they think it's the real Spanish.

						Manuel Garcia

=== Tim McMillen escribia
(Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 10:54:56AM -0500):