Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:42:15 -0700
From:      Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login classes

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

> From: "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:18:24 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: login classes
>
> I think that we should apply the philosophy of 'least surprise' to the
> default config.  Every system has a slightly different login-class
> mechanism (if any.)  I think that wide-open (or nearly so) would be
> the 'least surprise.'  Intelligent sysops, system administrators or
> vertical product suppliers will each have different needs for default
> limits.  I think that the defaults should be 'intelligently high.'

While I'm not sure I disagree with this, I think it's beside the point.
When I first started running X/FreeBSD on my main desktop at work, I
quickly ran into the login class limits and increased them.  I have no
problem with that.  The problem is with all the bazillion daemons
that don't know how to handle resetting resource limits when they
change user id's --- and I'm not sure they should.  Aside from the
fact that one should always think long and hard before breaking backward
compatibility and requiring lots of things to be ported to work properly,
there's also the argument that one should minimize the amount of hacking
one has to do on security related issues.  Seeing the code in some of
these daemons, I'd rather not complicate any further what they have to
do to switch uid's or anything else relating to security.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      It's not my fault!  It's some guy
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      named "General Protection"!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8--