Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:37:36 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Memory Requirements Legacy and Present

Dear folks,

I noticed some time ago that the memory requirements in the FreeBSD FAQ, as
well as in the files detailing hardware requirements, are no longer
accurate. I am working on a PR in hopes of getting this fixed for the
benefit of new users, but haven't had much luck in finding the information
I need. My apologies if this is a bit off-topic for -stable, but I didn't
have much luck on -doc or -questions. I was encouraged to try posting here
by more than one person on those lists.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is determine the exact minimum memory
requirements for FreeBSD's various releases. I'm most interested in what's
required to run the installer all the way through in each case, but I am
also interested in the amount required to run a usable system. The "5MB for
install and 4MB to run" documented in various places is no longer correct,
and it seems references to greater amounts such as 12MB and 8MB are based
on hearsay or are located in documents that are not trustworthy.

Is there anyone here who can tell me when the memory requirements changed,
and to exactly what amounts? Is there a reliable way I can determine these
numbers on my own? (I use the word "reliable" because, in ignorance, I
attempted to run through the installer for 4.3-Release on a system with
only 8MB and succeeded without any difficulty whatsoever, though that was
apparently impossible. :)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Polite suggestions of other
people to bother with this are welcome, as well. :)

Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to -stable. Thanks!

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM