Date:      13 Jul 2002 16:06:29 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        ezislis <kesor@mail.ru>
Cc:        George <jirka@5z.com>, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GDM 2.4.0.x & FreeBSD

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 14:42, ezislis wrote:
> Offcourse, it was so trivial that I forgot to mention it, before running
> any tests I check with ps axl to see if there is anytihng X related
> running, and even kill -9 if there is need.

I'm not trying to impugn your abilities, its just that I often forget to
check to make sure gdm actually does die, and most of the time init
doesn't properly kill gdm.

Every other problem I have experienced with gnome2 has been traceable to
font issues.  Try doing an ldd on gnome-session and see if you have any
funny issues with respect to shared libraries.  I found an old version
of freetype2 that somehow got linked before the new version and so there
were two conflicting versions of freetype2 linked into gnome-session
causing it to core dump.  In dealing with all of the gnome2 issues, I
have found that the only way to make sure is to carefully look at all
libraries and executables to make sure nothing is going on with shared
library issues, such as the pango libc thing or my freetype thing with
gnome-session.

Of course, all of these shared library issues would evaporate if ld-elf
was not so literal about libraries...

/Joe