Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 09:40:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, Tom Gidden <gid@visint.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

> 1) Is the Pentium Pro 200 much faster than the
> Pentium 200 and if so, what sort of %age gains
> can I expect.

It's a fair bit faster and YMMV, of course, but 30-40% is not an
unreasonable expectation.  The core technology really has improved;
it's not just another 486 inside with deeper pipelines and a faster
clock.

> 2) Is the Pentium 200 with 512k cache much better
> than the 256k cache version and again what sort
> of %age gains can be expected with the 512k version.

Not enough to make it work the current cost delta.

> Overclocking:
> 3) Is overclocking the motherboard viable/safe ?
> Has anyone actually had experience with m/b clocked
> at 83MHz ?

I clock my P6/200 at 233Mhz and it seems to work just fine.  Many
others I know are doing the same without any ill effects.  Other kinds
of overclocking I simply don't know about.

> 6) Dual Processor, what are the options like ?
> I was thinking of going for a dual processor m/b
> and only using one processor with the option to
> upgrade. (clients might like this idea)

The Tyan motherboard dual-P6 MB is quite nice.  I'm probably
going to get one for freefall just because you can stick a lot
more memory in the dual-processor model.

					Jordan