Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:14:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        shawn@luke.cpl.net (Shawn Ramsey)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deleted huge directory

> Does anyone have any suggestions for deleting a huge directory? The
> direcory is /var/news/spool/control/cancel. The directory is too large to
> even do a ls. If I try doing ls, it eats up all the avail. RAM(140+mb) and
> hangs. Anyone? I would try a wildcard, but I don't know what the filenames
> are. (This is a very large news server, and this directory has never been
> touch as far as I know.)

How about a good old

rm -rf /var/news/spool/control

followed by a

mkdir /var/news/spool/control/cancel

to recreate the directory?

You might also be able to get a list of files with doing an "echo *" in
the directory - thats a little trick I picked up somewhere which hasnt
actually proved useful until now :-)

Kris