Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:27:51 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>, FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports Tree Update

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 07:49:01PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Christopher W. Aiken <cwaiken@telerama.com> [20010212 19:44]: writing o=
n the subject 'Ports Tree Update'
> Christopher> I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE and would like to update
> Christopher> my ports tree.  I was going to do:
> Christopher>=20
> Christopher> 1) download new ports.tar.gz from ftp.freebsd.org
> Christopher> 2) rm -rf /usr/ports
> Christopher> 3) cd /usr; tar -xzvf ports.tar.gz
> Christopher>=20
> Christopher> Is that the suggested way? Best way?
>=20
> There are 2 options that I know of.=20
> o	A ports update package that you can install from the ports tree

If you're thinking of the "upgrade kits", these update parts of your
base system to allow it to work with newer ports collections, they
don't upgrade the ports collection itself. There is a tarball
containing all of the ports collection, but it's really only useful
for initial installations between of the bandwidth usage in
downloading a lot of stuff you already have.

> o	Cvsup.

This is the best way to update. See Q11-13 in the cvsup FAQ on
www.polstra.com if you are cvsupping for the first time, or you'll
have problems with cvsup not deleting some of the files which have
been removed from the collection.

Kris

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq

--ftEhullJWpWg/VHq--