Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:40:57 +1000
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Syscons flag to turn off random_harvest in scmouse?

+-------[ Andrew Kenneth Milton ]----------------------
| I've now tried 5 different Sound Cards in an effort to find one that doesn't
| spew
|
| pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2060 -> 1872

Ok so I've been told this is related to the random module.

Having had a look through the code I now understand what the problem is.

I think that for those people using /dev/sysmouse under X that
having random_harvest in scmouse.c is probably ill advised.

Those running X without using moused won't be being affected.

Can we have a flag for syscons to turn this off, or do we just turn off
moused and run X with direct access to the mouse? Since it seems you
can do this, there wouldn't seem to be harm in having a flag.

I still need the random module to use ssh (and I used to have it built
into my kernel, so I could simply unload it).

It seems a bit of a shame that if you want to use your sound card that
you give up X, or you give up ssh.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |