Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>, Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Subject:   Re: Change in loader or kernel: won't boot with kfreebsd in grub2

I finally tried again to track down that booting problem with FreeBSD via Super Grub Disk with kfreebsd.

I also tried, unsuccessfully, the menu choice "Detect any operating system".

That failed for failure to find commands "freebsd" and "frebsd-loadenv".

In the latter command, "frebsd-loadenv" was apparently misspelled; I copy what I saw.

When I tried to boot by kfreebsd, I got a prompt (OK) and lsdev produced

cd devices:
disk devices:
    disk0   BIOS drive A:
      disk0s1: Unknown
    disk1:  BIOS drive C:
    disk2:  BIOS drive D:
      disk2p1: FreeBSD boot
      disk2p2: FreeBSD UFS
      disk2p3: FreeBSD swap
    disk3:  BIOS drive E:
      disk3p1: FreeBSD boot
      disk3p2: FreeBSD UFS
      disk3p3: FreeBSD swap
pxe devices:
OK

So I assume disk2 and disk3 are USB sticks, disk1 is Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA hard drive, and disk0 is Western Digital My Book Essential 3 TB USB 3.0 hard drive, GPT-partitioned.

So the loader (?) missed out on disk0 and disk1

I can repeat what uname -a shows:

FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196: Sun Aug 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013     root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64

Tom